Saturday, January 16, 2016

Winter doldrums

Edgeworthia chrysantha
Edgeworthia chrysantha, blooming in January

I've been taking a break from blogging, originally because of the usual holiday craziness, but then because I just can't seem to motivate myself to write or even think about gardening.  The days are far too short, and the garden far too brown.  The last two winters wiped out much of my garden, and I'm just not looking forward to another one.  I shouldn't complain because after our two coldest winters in 20 years, we're now experiencing one of our warmest.  Although we had a few light frosts in November and December, DC didn't experience its first hard freeze until early January and we've only recently seen a few scarce flakes of snow.  Daffodils and crocuses are popping up all over my garden, and the silver-haired buds on Edgeworthia chrysantha (above), which normally blooms sometime in March, are swelling and opening.  (I should note that I took the photos in this blog post with my new 6s iPhone; the photos may not be publication quality, but I'm pretty impressed with its camera function.)

Edgeworthia chrysantha
Edgeworthia chrysantha in a friend's garden, showing the silver-haired clusters of buds

On the bright side (quite literally), days are getting longer and spring doesn't seem quite as far off.  Indoors, seedlings are beginning to demand my attention.  I made several begonias crosses last year, including a couple that I think are going to produce some very cool (and almost certainly hardy) hybrids.  I spent today sowing the last few batches of seeds, and potting up some of the seedlings that have already gotten too crowded in their pots.  Some of them are already hinting at the colors and patterns I can expect from them.  Once the seedlings have their second set of true leaves they really take off, so I guess it's time to get off my butt, stop feeling sorry for myself, and get back to gardening.

Begonia seedlings
Begonia seedlings

4 comments :

  1. Yep, get back to gardening! Those baby begonias are dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    Those of us out here watching your hardy Rex-type Begonias are waiting for your first lease of your best selection. The World awaits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos look publication quality to me. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Edgeworthia chrysantha; I really wish it was hardy for us in New England... Those begonias already look cool!

    ReplyDelete